Saturday, April 7, 2012

So Who isThis CRAIG, Anyway?!?

I have entered the amazing world of Craigslist!  In order to make our dream come true, and to reach our goal of being debt-free in five years, we've got to get rid of some stuff.  One of the main things is selling off four storage units full of wedding and event planning items.  Our business, Designing Divas Wedding and Event Planners, was an enterprise between my best friend and I over the last four years, and it has been a ball!  We have met so many wonderful people from all walks of life, as teachers, we would never have encountered.  But Connie's husband got transfered to Bethel, Alaska - a remote town some 300 miles away, and soon Connie followed.  The business has just not been the same.  It went from great fun, to a lot of lonely and stressful work.  So recently we decided to complete the three wedding contracts we have for the coming summer, and end the business.  We made a feeble attempt at selling the business as a whole, but in the meantime I am becoming a burgeoning basement business in the sale of odds and ends.

I envision this business continuing throughout the next five years, as we sell not only the Divas per se, but our personal affects as well.  I am just blown away by how quickly people respond to the ads.  On Wednesday night I placed ten ads.  By Thursday afternoon I was almost in tears, overwhelmed by non-stop phone calls, and trying to figure out how to meet my new "customers," pick up my grandson, keep the dog (not mine, I might add, but that's for another day) from barking hysterically, all the while trying  to maintain some semblance of sanity!

The first customer arrived, and I realized I was just not ready.  I didn't know how many of what I had.  She walked away with all of our candy jars for $100, - a good deal for her, and fair price for us.  But I knew I had some work to do.  Luckily, by Friday afternoon the sun was out in full force (okay, so it was only 45 degress - but that's warm to us Alaskans) and my daughter and I got to cleaning and organizing the storage units so I could at least see what I had, and customers could view the items in a somewhat appealing manner.

This morning I have several appointments for wedding items and a large tool chest.  We are making a dump run to clean out one of the storage units (really, who is going to want hot pink and zebra giant fake hat boxes?!?) to get rid of one unit to further reduce the debt.  This is fun, but time-consuming. Thanks, Craig, whoever you are - you've created an unbelievable tool and phenomenom for getting rid of our junk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment